Ontario High School Education System
Requirements to Graduate
As an inspected and authorized private high school by the Ministry of Education of Ontario, FH offers Ontario High School Curriculum from Grades 9-12 for students toward the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
WHAT TO DO TO EARN OSSD?
Ontario Secondary School Diploma
30 Credits (18 Compulsory Credits & 12 Optional Credits)
Students must complete the following 18 compulsory credits and 12 optional credits to earn the Ontario Secondary School Diploma:
- 4 credits in English (1 credit per grade)*
- 3 credits in mathematics (1 credit in Grade 11 or 12)
- 2 credits in science
- 1 credit in Canadian history
- 1 credit in Canadian geography
- 1 credit in the arts
- 1 credit in health and physical education
- 1 credit in French as a second language
- 0.5 credit in career studies
- 0.5 credit in civics
- 12 optional credits
In addition, students must complete the following:
- 40 hours of community involvement
- The provincial literacy requirement – Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test
Plus one credit from each of the following groups:
- A maximum of 3 credits in English as a second language (ESL) or English literacy development (ELD) may be counted towards the 4 compulsory credits in English, but the fourth must be a credit earned for a Grade 12 compulsory English course.
- In groups 1, 2 and 3, a maximum of 2 credits in French as a second language can count as compulsory credits, one from group 1 and one from either group 2 or group 3.
- A maximum of 2 credits in cooperative education can count as compulsory credits.
† The 12 optional credits may include up to 4 credits earned through approved dual credit courses