Ontario High School Education System
Requirements to Graduate
As an inspected private high school by the Ministry of Education of Ontario, FH offers Ontario High School Curriculum from Grade 9-12 for students to earn Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
What do you need to earn Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)?
30 Credits (18 Compulsory Credits & 12 Optional Credits)
Students must complete following 18 compulsory credits and 12 optional credits to earn the Ontario Secondary School Diploma:
- 4 credits in English (1 credit per grade)*
- 3 credits in mathematics (1 credit in Grade 11 or 12)
- 2 credits in science
- 1 credit in Canadian history
- 1 credit in Canadian geography
- 1 credit in the arts
- 1 credit in health and physical education
- 1 credit in French as a second language
- 0.5 credit in career studies
- 0.5 credit in civics
- 12 optional credits
In addition, students must complete:
- 40 hours of community involvement
- The provincial literacy requirement – Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test
Plus one credit from each of the following groups:
- A maximum of 3 credits in English as a second language (ESL) or English literacy development (ELD) may be counted towards the 4 compulsory credits in English, but the fourth must be a credit earned for a Grade 12 compulsory English course.
- In groups 1, 2 and 3, a maximum of 2 credits in French as a second language can count as compulsory credits, one from group 1 and one from either group 2 or group 3.
- A maximum of 2 credits in cooperative education can count as compulsory credits.
† The 12 optional credits may include up to 4 credits earned through approved dual credit courses